Writing Scholarships for Eighth Grade Students
In the spirit of honoring Celia’s commitment to equality and equity, the Celia Ann Card Educational Assistance Scholarship Fund (CACEASF) will grant scholarships to eighth-grade students attending Oklahoma and Maryland Public Schools on the topic of systemic racism in each state.
The CACEASF believes it is critical on our collective journeys as human beings to never stop learning. We deeply believe that sharing untold histories of systemic racism in the states that the CACEASF calls home is a step forward toward ending racism in America. By acknowledging our past, we can grow as individuals and communities empathetic to all.
The CACEASF OK Writing Scholarship is open to eighth-grade students attending Shawnee, Prague, Oklahoma City, Norman, Perry, or Ponca City, and Oklahoma City Public Middle Schools. There are 3 awards in all. One first-place winner receives $500, one second-place winner receives $250, and one third-place winner receives $100.
The CACEASF MD Writing Scholarship is open to eight grade students attending Carroll and Howard County Public Schools in Maryland. There are 3 awards in all. One first-place winner receives $500, one-second place winner receives $250, and one third-place winner receives $100.
Here are the details on how to apply:
Write a paper no less than 1,000 words on the topic of systemic racism in your state. Deadline date to apply is December 6, 2020 at 11:59pm.
- What is systemic racism?
- What are examples of past or present systemic racism in your state?
- Who are the unsung heroes in your story?
- How can you educate others in your state about systemic racism?
- What can you do as an individual to overcome racism?
- Use 12-point type, Times New Roman Font, Double-space, and 1.5-inch margins
- Provide a timeline for historical events
- Include up to two images (remember to credit the source)
- Use at least 2 sources: use in-text citations and provide a reference list
Please submit your essay to firstname.lastname@example.org in .pdf format. Use CACEASF (your state) Paper in the subject line. Example: CACEASF (OK) Paper.
Make sure to follow the guidelines above.
***Note: Eighth-grade teachers whose students apply to this opportunity will receive a $25.00 check from the CACEASF. Please message email@example.com.